Saturday: Metz (20th) vs St Etienne (5th) (16:00 GMT)
Metz and St Etienne face off at the Stade Saint-Symphorien this weekend with both sides in desperate need of the three points. The hosts sit bottom-of-the-table, nine points away from safety. Time is rapidly running out for Albert Cartier’s side to pull off a miraculous recovery, especially as they have failed to win any of their previous 16 league matches.
St Etienne, meanwhile, need to win in order to keep within touching distance of Monaco. The visitors have fallen to fifth in the standings recently and are now under pressure from the likes of Bordeaux and Montpellier for a possible Europa League qualification spot. They head into this game on the back of a 2-0 win over Lorient.
– Metz last won a league game in Week 12, when they beat Caen 3-2.
– They have won all three home league matches this season in which they opened the scoring.
– St Etienne haven’t won any of their last four away league games.
– They have won just one in their last eight in the league.
– In the reverse fixture in Week 11, St Etienne beat Metz 1-0 at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.