Robert Bhamber previews tonight’s Côte D’Azur derby in Ligue 1 between OGC Nice and Marseille.
Marseille can return to the top of the table with victory against Nice at the Allianz Riviera on Friday night. The hosts will head into this Mediterranean derby full of confidence, after recording back-to-back league wins against Lorient and Bordeaux. They have struggled with consistency throughout most of this season, so manager Claude Puel will be hoping his side can maintain this recent run of good form.
The visitors, however, come into this match desperate for all three points. Losses to Monaco and Montpellier in the past month have seen Marseille lose their grip on the league’s top spot, with Lyon leapfrogging them at the summit and both PSG and St Etienne catching up. They overcame Guingamp late on at home last weekend and Marcelo Bielsa will accept nothing less than another victory here.
– Nice have not gone more than three games unbeaten all season.
– They have won four, drawn three and lost four at home in the league this campaign.
– Marseille have not won any of their last five away league matches, losing four of them.
– They have scored 16 and conceded 12 goals on their travels.
– In the reverse fixture in Week 4, Marseille thrashed Nice 4-0 at the Stade Velodrome.